Presbytery of Southern New England
Stated Clerk Job Posting
The Presbytery of Southern New England is seeking a part-time Stated Clerk. The qualified candidate will be interested in serving as part of a team that approaches its role of resourcing the Presbytery with energy, intelligence, imagination and love. We seek a Stated Clerk who is passionate for the Presbyterian Church (USA), self-directed, able to multi-task, maintains confidentiality and is detail-oriented. The qualified applicant will have a clear understanding of the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and looks to utilize it in ways that provide for flexibility, creativity, counsel and the furtherance of ministry. It is a requirement that the Stated Clerk be adept in the usage of technology.
The candidate will enjoy the benefit of a staff-colleague team that includes a General Presbyter, an office administrator, a financial manager and a chaplain to the clergy. In the larger Synod of the Northeast, there is a collegium of Clerks and in the larger denomination, training and resourcing is provided through the Office of the General Assembly.
The Presbytery of Southern New England utilizes a virtual office, which means that there is no physical shared office space and those who serve the Presbytery must be comfortable with traveling a geographic expanse which covers the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island and portions of Massachusetts. Staff of the Presbytery meet monthly via video-conference and in person at other times during the year. All staff work remotely from home offices and also travel for in-person meetings and also work through remote meetings either by phone or video-conference. As part of the larger connectional Church, this position would have the resourcing of the Stated Clerk of the Synod of the Northeast and the Staff of the Office of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
We encourage candidates for this position to consult the Church Leadership Connection system (http://pcusa.org/clc) for additional opportunities within the Presbytery of Southern New England.
Because the role of Stated Clerk is an Ecclesiastical Officer of a governing body of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), as per the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) we can only accept applications from those ordained as Teaching Elders (Minister of Word and Sacrament) and Ruling Elders whose ordination is in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). We strongly encourage the applications of women, persons of color and other minority groups. The Presbytery of Southern New England does not discriminate based on age, race, color, marital status, sexual orientation, gender or gender expression, military status or disability.
Please submit a resume (or MIF) along with your thoughtful cover letter to the Search Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Title: Stated Clerk, Presbytery of Southern New England
Purpose: To serve as an officer of the Presbytery for recording its transactions, keeping its rolls of membership and attendance, preserving its records, and performing the duties prescribed by the Book of Order and the By-laws and Standing Rules of the Presbytery.
- To serve as a member of the Presbytery staff team, and maintain collegial relationships with the staff and officers of the presbytery.
- To serve or be responsible for providing a Parliamentarian for all Presbytery Meetings.
- To serve as a polity resource to Clerks and Moderators of Sessions; and to the officers and constitutional and programmatic committees of the presbytery; in particular, to the Moderator, Vice Moderator, Committee on Ministry and Committee on Preparation for Ministry.
- To interpret and implement the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and the Manual of Operations and policies of the Presbytery
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Stated Clerk as the presbytery’s chief ecclesiastical administrator: will relate to other governing bodies, interpret presbytery actions, serve as secretary of the Corporation, support the Permanent Judicial Commission, serve as presbytery’s secretary and secretary of Roundtable – recording minutes, and acting as custodian of the official records of the Presbytery.
- The Stated Clerk shall also: assist in organizing meetings of the presbytery; guide Candidates toward Ordination and Ministers toward Installation; record transactions; perform background checks; keep rolls of members and attendees; publish the minutes and policies of presbytery; coordinate the ecclesiastical work of the presbytery between meetings; collect annual membership statistics; communicate on behalf of the Presbytery through various media with our constituents and denomination; support the administrative commissions of the Presbytery; maintain the roster of names and terms of members of the Permanent Judicial Commission; preserve the archives of minutes and records and furnishing extracts when requested by another governing body; provide support and training to clerks of sessions; ensure fair and effective representation on presbytery committees and agencies; fulfill such other duties as may be assigned by Roundtable, or at the appropriate request of the General Assembly or Synod; and hold the seal of the corporation.
Accountability: The Stated Clerk is an ecclesiastical officer of the Presbytery responsible to the Chair of the Personnel Committee on behalf of Roundtable. He/she is elected by the Presbytery on nomination of the Personnel Committee, with approval of Roundtable, and is part of a collegial staff team committed to the vision, mission and goals of the Presbytery of Southern New England.
Hours: 15 hours/week.
Term: The Stated Clerk shall be an Ruling Elder or Teaching Elder (Minister of the Word and Sacrament) and shall be elected by the Presbytery for a term of five years and may be reelected.
Evaluation: The work of the Stated Clerk, and all aspects of his or her compensation, shall be thoroughly and constructively reviewed not less than annually by Roundtable, primarily through the agency of the Personnel Committee.
2018 Salary and Benefits for Stated Clerk
|Annual Professional Expenses||$2500.00|
|Annual Mileage Reimbursement||$1500.00|
|Annual Tech Reimbursement||$480.00|
|Additional Professional Expenses (GA Year only)||$1200.00|
|Understanding that additional hours may be needed in service to an Administrative Commission, Investigating Committee or Permanent Judicial Commission||$25/hour in consultation with the Personnel Committee|
|Study Leave||2 weeks|